|Tuesday June 6
Aurora Centre, Burnside HighNot-to-be missed!Dave Weckl drum workshop
– 5.30pm-6.45 $20
with Tony Lindsay, Dave Weckl, Alex Sipiagin, Adam Schroeder and the Rodger Fox Big Band – 8pm $55
Buy tickets here
(Full price adult tickets for drum workshop and/or gala concert)
For students and seniors, there is a school deal with workshops starting from 1.30-5pm
$20 workshop or concert or $30 for all workshops and concert! See details and registration below:
1.30 – 2.15pm
- General introduction.
- Rodger Fox Big Band to open the workshop by performing a swing style chart.
- Discussion will then take place to show what it takes to play in this style of ensemble. Each section of the big band will demonstrate their parts within the arrangement and will then put it all together. Full scores for the musical arrangement will be available to music teachers and the instrument parts will be made available to all students to follow as the Rodger Fox Big Band demonstrate the music.
2.15 – 3.00pm
- Introduction to improvisation
- Improvisation is a key characteristic of jazz and students will be introduced to the concepts to enable them to develop their own skills in this area.
3.00 – 3.15 Transition to individual workshops
- Instrument specific workshops
- Students will have the opportunity to focus on their own instrument and learn the tips and tricks from the professionals
3.15 – 4.15pm
- Individual Workshops
- How to play in a jazz style
- Trumpet / Trombone / Saxophones (Woodwinds) / Vocals / Rhythm Section (Keyboards, Guitar, Bass, Drums)
4.30 – 5.00pm
- Recap on the afternoon workshop and panel discussion
- Students have the chance to ask their burning questions and reflect on what they’ve learned so far.
5.00 – 5.30pm Short break
5.30 – 6.45 pm Dave Weckl Drum workshop/masterclasses
6.45pm to 8.00pm Dinner break
8.00pm Concert featuring all the Artists and the Rodger Fox Big Band
Grateful thanks to local organisations Rata Foundation and Music Education Canterbury for their support.